General Goals of the workshop
- Provide a safe environment were siblings can learn more about themselves and about living in a family with special needs.
- Promote social sharing and friendship building opportunities amongst same-age sibling peers.
- Provide an opportunity for siblings to discuss their common joys and concerns with other siblings of children with special needs.
- Provide siblings and parents an opportunity to learn strategies to better handle situations commonly experienced by siblings of children with special needs.
- Provide siblings and parents an opportunity to learn how to express feelings in a healthy way without judgement or shame.
- Provide siblings and parents with an opportunity to learn more about specific disabilities that impact personal and family life.
- Promote enhanced parent understanding of childhood experiences of being a sibling of a child with special needs.